Saturday, April 25, 2009

I'm letting it go...and it's all good.

As a coach, it is my job to be unattached to the outcome.  When I first started practicing this skill, I often felt like I was walking a thin line between apathy, which is not something that comes naturally to me, and conscious unattachment.  I can say, with a great deal of confidence that I have become very skilled at remaining curious and unattached to the choices that my clients make, but I often times struggle to be unattached to the outcomes in my own life.

Clearly, I care a great deal about my life, and where I am headed, so to say that I am unattached to my outcome is false. But what is true, is that I find myself getting so wrapped up in what I think is supposed to happen or in my expectations, meaning that I am focused on the future, that I sometimes miss the opportunities that are staring me right in my face in the present moment. 

When I am coaching I support my client’s choices and encourage them to seek out a deeper awareness as to what is driving them to make the decisions that they choose to make, but when it comes to supporting myself, I often times put an enormous amount of pressure on myself and thus create unrealistic expectations.   What I have learned about unrealistic expectations is that from the get go, I am setting myself up for disappointment… and that is not what I want in my life.  So in order to walk the walk and talk the talk, it is important to me to remain gentle with myself, stay flexible, and welcome the unexpected. What I have experienced, when I am able to be unattached, is that life presents opportunities that in my wildest dreams I could never conjure up. Practicing the art of being here now, and experiencing life as it happens, is blowing my mind and opening me up to new and exciting aspects of my life that have been untapped for some while now.

My questions to you all are these:

What does being unattachment mean to you?

How are your expectations limiting you?

If you could harness all the energy that you put towards future thoughts, what would you do with it?

What does it feel like to be present?

 

 

I hope you all are having a great start to your weekend, and I look forward to hearing from you.

 

Talia

 

No comments:

Post a Comment