Monday, April 20, 2009

I'm taking it back...all of it.

I associate memories and periods of time in my life with music, and more often than not those songs are associated with people. Over the course of the past few years, I have grown apart form some very significant people in my life, and in turn attempted to suppress our memories by not listening to the music I once loved.  

The other day I was listening to a random mix of music, and a song came on that was a serious memory trigger.  My initial response was to skip the song, and then something interesting happened.  I got a little bit angry.  The thoughts that were running through my head were something like this… “This is crazy, this is just a song, if you want to listen to it, listen to it. Why are you allowing someone in your past to have this much control over you...still! GET OVER IT”.   So I did.  I played the song that once made my heart ache, and decided that it would no longer have that effect on me.  Instead, I choose to listen to the song with a fresh perspective and enjoy it for what it was, just a good song.

It was really interesting for me to think about this further.  I had been allowing my past, to own my present, and I am so over that.  What was happening to me was when those songs came on, that initiated the memories, I got sad or I started to replay the past, which I have found rarely accomplishes much of anything.  So in my taking ownership of how I want to perceive these songs in the future, I really did myself a service in moving forward with my life.

My questions to you are these:

What are you not enjoying in your life because you’re trying to avoid what it once represented?

What will you gain from reclaiming what you once loved?

How will eliminating negative associations change who you are?

 

I am really curious to hear from you all on this one.  I too am in the process of seeing if there are other areas in my life where I have conceded what I once loved in order to forget the sad parts of my past.

 

I hope you are all well.

Talia

 

No comments:

Post a Comment