Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Finish what I’ve started….

This past week I have had the time to reflect on many aspects of my life that are incomplete. The list of incomplete projects, relationships, and thoughts seem endless, which stresses me out.  For a long time it has been easier for me not to address the incomplete things in my life and continue on as if life is all good, but I can only fool myself for so long. 

What I have come to realize is that when there are items left incomplete in my life, I tend to be irritable, stressed, and I more often than not end up getting sick.  So the cost of putting off what is important to me is hefty.   I recently created a list of all the things in my life that are incomplete.  My list included things like, cleaning out my closet and basement, journaling about a specific relationship, sending a friends’ wedding gift, reading several books, and so on.  With the exception of a few items, my extensive list once prioritized, seems to be rather manageable. 

What is most important to me is to set myself up for success in terms of actually accomplishing these tasks. So I am going to be realistic with my timeline for each item, and I know for me I work best when I focus on one particular task before moving to the next.

When I am thinking about completion/ closure I find myself asking these questions:

How is it going to feel once completion/closure is in place?

What is holding me back from finishing what I have started?

Once I have completed a task, where will I put my energy?

What I am afraid of?

I hope these questions help you to recognize the power that completion can have.  I welcome your thoughts and insights. If you find that you don’t even know where to start, or that your list seems like too much, let me know…I can help.

Have a great day,

Talia 

No comments:

Post a Comment