Friday, March 27, 2009

Hating What I Love

For the past few months, I have been very committed to maintaining my health physically, and thus mentally, and it’s been fairly evident. These past few weeks, however, with my schedule changing a bit and with a lack of motivation, I have seriously slacked off.  I woke up this morning not feeling 100%, but determined to work out today.

All morning long I have come up reasons as to why working out today is not a good idea, like I’m so tired I won’t be able to do what I normally do, I know I can’t run today and being at the gym is going to frustrate me, and if I’m not feeling well shouldn’t I just stay home and take care of myself? All those are pretty valid and truthful, but what I do know is that by the simple act of getting dressed and driving myself to the gym, I am breaking the habit of sitting at home and whining about not working out. 

My goal today is to make it to the gym. I am not expecting that I can run, or lift as much weight as I know I’m capable of, or even stay that long.  But knowing that I will have gotten out of the house and followed through on what I said I was going to do, is enough for me to feel good about myself, and will be enough to help get back on track.  It is truly amazing how powerful and persuasive negative self-talk can be.  I know for a fact that when I work out I feel better in all areas of my life, yet I am so quick to disregard those feelings when I am feeling a bit lazy.

My questions for you are these:

Where in your life does negative self-talk keep you from doing what you know you love?

How do you break the cycle, of what I am terming laziness, and get yourself make on track?

What are the things in your life that you love?

Ok, I am going to get dressed and head to the gym…wish me luck.

Have a great weekend, and please feel free to share your thoughts.

Talia

No comments:

Post a Comment