Thursday, November 3, 2011

Your time is now.

There are so many excuses that we tell ourselves as to why we cannot be in shape or work towards a healthy life style. Do any of these sound familiar?

I’m to old.

I’m way too out of shape.

I’m not strong enough to do that.

I don’t have the time.

I’ll do it later.

I’m not that out of shape/health.

You know what the real excuse is??? Fear. We are fearful that we will fail, thus we never start in the first place.

I find this fear, well frustrating. I can speak from experience, that fear has kept me from achieving some incredible things in my life, and to this day, it still keeps me living a smaller version of my true self.

In terms of getting healthy, for me my fear was wrapped up in failing; I never pushed myself as hard as I could, I never made enough time for real change, and I always made excuses as to why I was out of shape/health. And growing up in a culture that was obsessed with ultra tin and skinny women as a symbol of beauty, in my head I never stood a chance of being healthy or in shape because my goal was based on unrealistic notions. It has taken me most of my life to recognize that who I am is, who I am meant to be. Learning that lesson and continuing to live that lesson as my truth, my whole outlook on myself changed and my perceived notions of what is healthy and beautiful have thus changed.

Now, health and fitness are a part of who I am on every level. It’s funny there are people in my life who have put up barriers to my new self, and from my perception it is based on their own fears of what it means to be healthy and what it means to make the necessary changes to do so. I am learning not to make excuses for how I live my life, and conversely I am learning how to share my knowledge in a loving and compassionate way, versus a pushy and elitist sort of way.

What I know is that it has taken me the majority of my adult life to come to a place of peace and acceptance about who I am, what my body looks like, and how I choose to feel. Thankfully, I also have come to recognize that life is a continuous journey, always allowing us the opportunity to arrive at a new destination. That belief of life as a process, allows me the opportunity to work hard, all the while being gentle with myself throughout the process.

If we continue to believe our own excuses, then it will become our reality. Creating a healthy life-style takes work, motivation, and support. If you are willing to work for change, then motivation and support will find you. If you are not wiling to take the steps, small and or big, to even start the journey, you will never arrive. Creating change in your own life is not easy for most people; I challenge you to create one intention for yourself, an intention that you know you can achieve. And once you achieve what you set out to achieve, celebrate your accomplishments, then create another intention.

My intention for this week is: I stick to my plan of working out everyday until I leave for my vacation, so that I can feel good about my accomplishments and so that while on vacation I don’t get “down” on myself for not working out.

Here are some questions for you to think about:

What would it feel like to create a daily intention and celebrate your achievement of it?

Where does fear show up in your life?

What changes do you want to make for yourself, and haven’t due to the excuses that you tell yourself?

I would love to hear from you, and if you have a topic you’d like to see in this blog please let me know.

Hope you are all well.

Talia

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for finally writing about > "Your time is now." < Loved it!
    My webpage :: gute Ausbildung Lebensberater

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad that you found this post useful and thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey very interesting blog!
    Check out my web page ; become a dentist

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are truly enormous ideas in concerning blogging.
    You have touched some nice points here. Any way keep up wrinting.
    Also see my web site :: leadership coaching Assessment

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing your thoughts about this post. Yes these are big ideas and concepts, and my hope is that people can start to think about them, so that they don't seem too big. I appreciate your time in reading, and I hope to post some new material soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the post. I think "your time is now" is a great title when it comes to health and fitness. Life and relationships, on the other hand, are a little more complicated. Sometimes timing works differently for different people. I once had a perfect situation with someone and my heart deeply wanted to take the next step, but for that person the time wasn't right.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sadly, timing is tricky, and it only get's more complex when more than one person is involved. Unfortunately, life doesn't always workout the way we want it to, and as hard as that is to understand and move through, we must do just that. I like to think that if something is meant to be, then nothing will stop it from happening, and that's how I choose to view the universe...Timing may have been off in the past and present, but no one knows what the future holds. We have to keep living our lives in the present moment, and always be open to whatever may be.

    ReplyDelete