Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Now, isn't this a fun pattern…

So this past week marks the second time my purse has been stolen out of my car from the same location. I know what you’re thinking, “Wow, you would think once would have been enough to learn that lesson”, well apparently not. The irony of the latest incident was I actually had the thought as I left my purse, which had both my phone and iPod in it, in my car, that as my Father would say, “You’re crusin’ for a brusin’”…and he was right. As pissed as I was, I really only had myself to blame.

So after dealing with the annoying aftermath of not having a phone, being pissed about losing my favorite purse, and cancelling all my credit cards and bank accounts, I slowed my mind enough to sort out what this event was really all about. And what I came up with is this: I have created a belief that it is necessary for me to learn lessons the hard way.

Huh, well that sucks.

I have spent some more time thinking about the deeper meaning of this belief, that I have been living with for the majority of my life, and what I have decided, is that this belief no longer suits me, and to be honest I’m not sure it has suited me at all. This belief is not limited to my leaving purses in cars, in fact it is most clearly evident in my relationship patterns…I stay involved and connected to relationships both platonically and romantically well past their expiration date. What I have realized is that, I have had a really difficult time being honest with myself in terms of when to change my behavior... meaning that I usually recognize when I am no longer benefiting from a situation, but taking the necessary steps to change that situation seem to lag way behind.

I am tired of living by extreme life lessons. Instead I choose to stay present and recognize when things require adjustments and making those adjustments in a much quicker fashion, if not immediately. Since this is a patterned behavior that I have been living with for many many years now, I am really going to try to be gentle with myself throughout this process of redefining my new belief, which is this: I trust my intuition and make the necessary changes in my daily life, no matter how significant, so that I set myself up for success.

So here are some questions that may help you to identify a destructive pattern in your own life that is keeping you down…

Is there something in your life that constantly has you saying, “Why is this happening…again?” If so, what are you doing or not doing that is causing this to be the case?

Where in your life can you connect the dots, meaning can you see if there are other areas in your life that are not the way you desire them to be, in order to determine if you are living a belief or a pattern that is no longer serving you?

What is keeping you from modifying your behavior in order to create a different outcome?

What is your desired outcome?

I hope this is a helpful discussion and some food for thought. Here’s to moving forward with purpose and intention.

I hope to hear from you,

Talia

4 comments:

  1. Talia, I'm really sorry to hear about your purse! That stinks. And I enjoyed your post. Will follow you regularly:) xoxo Jenny DB

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea, there was nothing fun about that little experience... I'm so glad you are enjoying my blog, I'm having a lot of fun with it too. If you're so inclend, spread the word. I hope you're well, and thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  3. THANK YOU for this post. I am inspired by both your perspective and ... well, evolution, really. I admire you more than you know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ashleigh,
    Thank you for your kind words, they are really nice to hear. So with that said...where in your life can you introduce a new perspectice so that you get exactly what you want?

    ReplyDelete